Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Wikipedia

Q. Is Wikipedia a friend or foe to teachers?

A. I'd like to answer this from the standpoint of an elementary teacher only. For elementary school teachers, I believe that Wikipedia is more of a foe. Prior to this class, I didn't know how Wikipedia worked exactly. However, now that I understand how it works, I believe that---for teachers of children in the primary grades (K-3), it is a foe. As we discussed today in our small group, young children don't know how to discern what is true and accurate, and what is not. Young children rely on the teacher for accurate information....In the young grades, students think their teacher knows EVERYTHING! Do you recall having any students who thought you were so smart that you must know everything? It happens all the time in the early grades. I've had parents come into school laughing, telling me that their child doesn't know the answer to something, and they don't necessarily want their parents' answer---they want to check with ME, they want confirmation from me, because I'm the teacher. While humorous, the illustration just goes to show that children are vulnerable and extremely trusting. I believe that if young students are looking online, they are going to believe what they see. Teachers can try to explain that Wikipedia isn't a super reliable source, but that would be confusing for the young children. The concept of some things being invalid is too abstract for young children.  I think it is the teacher's job to be the children's filter. So....I think it would be best for teachers to use Wikipedia privately, and then relay the true information to the children.

5 comments:

  1. But somewhere along the way we have to start teaching children the incremental steps of being discerning readers and researchers. If anything has come out as a theme this week, it is our responsibility to teach the students what they need to know for skills in evaluating resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is our responsibility to teach skills about evaluating sources. But I don't think Kindergarten is the right grade to begin. In kindergarten we talk about stories being real and make-believe. I think Wikipedia discussions are for older students, maybe 2nd grade and up.

      Delete
    2. I like your idea about using discussions about fiction and nonfiction as a stepping stone for teaching critical evaluation of a reading. Good thought.

      Delete
  2. You are so lucky, you are still an expert and all knowing in the eyes of your students! Middle school students love to catch me in a mistake and often challenge me with the most interesting questions. It is truly amazing how a few years age difference can create such a difference in the attitudes of children.

    I always have to remind myself about the strengths and weaknesses pertaining to the age of my students. With all the focus on teaching to a students interest and intelligence, I sometimes wonder if we as educators are forgetting to build them up in the areas that they are weakest, so that they can become more adept and confident in circumstances they previously backed away from and feared.

    I would never want to destroy the innocence of a child, but do you think that there is any circumstance in which Wikipedia might challenge your students to think more critically about what and who they choose to trust?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I suppose it could be discussed in the younger grades. Most of my students have little knowledge about computers. They are just learning how to move the computer mouse. LOL But we do talk about things being "real" and "make-believe", and the concept of "true" and "false". So in that context, yes, I think it could be relative. :)

    ReplyDelete