Thursday, August 9, 2012

Complex Texts Article

Q. Complex texts require single-tasking, an unbroken and unbothered focus. Digital activities foster multiitasking and constant interaction." Are these 2 approaches "caught" or "taught"?

A. After discussing this issue in small groups yesterday, I'd have to say that the answer is a bit of both. Some students, the academically-motivated ones, have probably "caught" how to read and understand complex material. But for the majority of students, I think they need more direct instruction and modeling. In today's digital world, there are so many distractions. The author states that "fast skimming is the way of the screen." The author suggests that students aren't prepared for college due to "lack of experience" in reading complex texts. If students lack experience, then we have to help close that gap. Yesterday, many of us agreed that it is not just a "school" issue. It is also a "home" issue. Parents should be reading at home...with children and without children. If a child sees their parents/teachers reading for pleasure, they may indeed see the value in it. Teachers can model as well. Teachers can get to know the students and choose text that is relative to their lives.Teachers can also be sure to carve out time during the day/period for the sole purpose of focusing on complex reading. And finally, teachers can integrate technology (blogs, videos, online research etc.) with the complex literature that they are using in class. I think this would help close the gap.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that the answer is a little bit of both. I agree that it is important for both teachers and parents to teach students the importance of reading complex texts to enhance their ability to focus for a length of time. I also stated in my response that this is an important skill for students to master before heading off to college. If students have not been requires to read complex texts before college then they are going to have a hard time transitioning into college level reading assignments. I also think that integrating technology is important.

    ReplyDelete